OpenSocial: adding a ticketing system to the event feature of a community platform

About the project

Events are one of the core functions of Open Social. While the payment process is available, the next step to improve the product is to add the possibility of buying tickets for events that are hosted on these platforms. Organizations should be able to access and personalize the whole event flow, from start to finish.

Role and duration

The team consisted of 4 people (3 UX/UI researchers and 1 project manager). My tasks included project management UX analysis and research, low fi prototyping and testing and UI design. The project took 9 days in total.

The problem

The main current issues with ticketing for the event manager side
• Inability to receive an overview of data and seller information
• Usage of different tools to create an event, create tickets and handle the payment
Inability to create an overview of attendees being (non-)community members
• Having to manually reach out to every attendee on its own

The main current issues with ticketing for the ticket buyer side
Length of the buying process
Ticket accessibility after purchase
Requirement of too much personal information
Crashing or lagged website loading

🔍 How might we improve Open Social’s community platform, so that event attendees can purchase and access their tickets seamlessly; and event managers have an overview of all attendees in one place?

Empathize and define

We conducted semi-structured interviews and ran surveys with in total over 43 people. We then created two global user personas, user journey maps and jobs to be done based on these faced problems and experiences (for both buyer and creator side).

Ideation: ideas in progress

Because of the scope of the project, we decided to first create an MVP based on the Moscow Method. This way, we had 5 features for each side (manager and attendee) that were inevitable. Afterwards we made sitemap so we could better understand the user’s paths and the future structure of our platform. We then created the main user flows to get a grip on the structure and user behaviour within our product.

Validating and testing

We validated our ideas using Maze. On the attendee side – the feedback mainly focusing on limiting extra steps and clicks. For the manager side, it was mainly focused on the structure and naming: on where to find what. To summarize a few important points:

Manager side
Not clear how to make tickets definitive and edit added tickets
Not clear how to access the dashboard

Attendee side
How to retrieve bought tickets
Selection button – avoid people clicking too much

Final product

Learnings and improvements

Looking back at the project and the product itself, there are a few points I would have done differently now or that I would improve.

The current design shows both ‘member’ and ‘non-member’ options, but the system already knows due to log in.
Ticketing settings are currently decoupled from creating the event settings, which could also be linked.
We have to think and iterate further on distinguishing between different prices for different roles on the platform.

While there are a lot of improvements that can be made, I am very proud of what our team accomplished within this short amount of time. I’m also very glad with everything I learned from this project, and looking forward to using my improved skills for my next projects.

Scroll up